View Single Post
Ensign
# 7
11-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsurutafan01 View Post
There are (at least) three threads about this on the first page in the Graphical Issue subforum just below this one. I suggest you check those out. It is related (but not exclusive) to laptops with integrated Intel(R) HD Graphics.

This is the longest and most detailed of those threads, if you feel like wading through: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=414741

Fiddle with your drivers if you like, but the problem is something, somewhere in the season 7 code. And yeah a bunch of us are stuck until it is fixed.

It has been suggested there that a driver rollback for your graphics card to an old version might "band aid" the problem. I won't say fix because the problem is still there, merely not crippling, and you can apparently still play. It will also not work for everyone, as it did not for me. So I cannot comment on its overall effectiveness. It's also a bad idea in general, but some have apparently tried it and succeeded. I do not recommend a driver rollback to bandaid problems, personally, but it is the best anyone has come up with.

Hopefully the developers are onto fixing it, but the silence has been a touch awkward. I am not a paying customer of the game at this time so I can't complain too much. But I feel for those of you that are, and have been caught in the same boat as a relative noob like me.
Let's just say I had this problem BEFORE I updated my graphics driver, so I doubt rolling back will do any good. But it's a good tip nonetheless. I just feel screwed. I used to play STO for several hours at a time on my laptop, and now I barely can login for 5 minutes.

The only solace I can take from all of this is that I sent PWE/Cryptic a very detailed account of the STOP error (BSOD), along with everything else (dxdiag reports, hijackthis, links, etc) to assist them in finding a resolution. I was told my info would be sent to their developers. We shall see. And btw, I've read some of the threads. Not a lot of "solutions", but yes good steps to take which I've done. Short of tearing down the laptop and upgrading the graphics chip myself (not at my skill level... yet), I've done everything but throw the kitchen sink at it. LOL

Thanks though for the tips.