View Single Post
Career Officer
# 24
11-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Heh, no.

Licensing covers a whole spectrum of things and since CBS and Paramount were once the same company the whole thing is "fuzzy" since when they separated things were split.

Considering Paramount did a "re-boot" of Star Trek they likely allowed CBS to retain the IP rights to previous series and movies but I doubt that extended to publishing rights and this is were things are get messy to who gets DVD and broadcasting rights.

CBS does not own the 2009 movie because it was after it separated from Paramount, all rights of Star Trek (2009) belong to Paramount.

Voyager used first season DS9 uniforms but the First DS9/VOY and the TNG Movies/Late DS9 uniforms are exactly the same except it swapped the colors on the shoulders and turtleneck and some minor changes.

This begs the question if you are going to add ALL variants of the same uniform, even the WoK uniform was used 3 times with alterations.
This is my point and exactly what I just said. In licensing terms, universes and characters aren't really owned by anybody. They are elements of discreet copyrighted works.

Now, you could have a handshake deal or exchange of cash for the Kelvin uniform designs, which would be a trademark or an element of the copyright for the 2009 film. And I think that could be negotiated because of how the companies might divy up the universes.

It's just that characters and universes are not legal entities, which is what I think we're both saying. You have designs, which are trademarks, and films/books which are covered by copyright. CBS would certainly have an in-universe argument for licensing or buying the Kelvin uniforms from Paramount but they don't own anything from the film.

Things we have in the game like the destruction of Hobus and mentions of Nero had to be negotiated through Paramount at some stage, because Paramount basically owns those events.

This is something that I find confuses a lot of fans. The events in the books are not owned by CBS directly either and so it may sometimes be in their interests to contradict the books.

I think fans tend to grasp that books aren't canon but have a harder time with the idea that printed resources aren't part of the property.

For instance, nobody should really be using Klingon words that weren't used onscreen or referencing anything from Klingon culture that comes from books, manuals, or resources. Not for canon reasons but for legal reasons. Without negotiating with Pocket anyway.

The problem this creates with Klingon and Romulan fans is that the majority of what defines the factions for them is not only "soft-canon" but is stuff which may have to be tossed entirely at some point for legal reasons. Try imagining going through the KDF as a writer and having to gut or intentionally contradict anything that doesn't come from a filmed episode. That is something that CBS has to be ready for as long as someone else, even a sister company, is the one publishing the books.