View Single Post
Captain
# 33
11-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestu View Post
You are misreading the scene.

Someone once observed, "There are times when the end justifies the means. But when you build an argument based on a whole series of such times, you may find that you've constructed an entire philosophy of evil."

That is the point of the scene. Maxwell liked that military life gave him a sense of purpose and camaraderie, and he couldn't give that up. In assuming that what was necessary was good in its own right, he became an agent of evil.

People today lack moral courage, and they easily argue that the evils they choose to partake in - militarism, greed, "us-versus-them" - are good because they are inevitable. An entire philosophy of evil based on a single faulty premise.

This is also why so many people find the "Hogan's Heroes" world of DS9/ENT less disturbing than TNG.
And with the way television and film are headed these days, the last time I was emotionally moved by something on tv will continue to be back in 2006. I want my intelligent philosophical Sci-Fi back! Enough of this dark broody wank material, or bright and shiny explosion filled tit fest wank material. Where's the stuff like "Inner Light"? That episode made stupid sugar and cartoon fueled 8 year old me cry. And it still does.

Not a single shot fired, the Science Fiction is barely there, but without it, the whole plot couldn't work. The theme of family, friends, life, love, loss, and the value of a mans life is a beautiful message, and one that is forgone in favor of ****, explosions, and one-liners these days. Truly a tragedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestu View Post
By that logic, the Kazon received the ultimate diss. One wonders how they feel about that.
Probably how they feel about everything.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
HI HO, HI HO. OFF DUTY SLOT NEEDS TO GO!

"It's better to ask a dumb question, than to remain an idiot forever."