View Single Post
Starfleet Veteran
# 53
11-29-2012, 09:04 AM
I don't like the trash-compactor style advancement for Fleet and Reputation. It goes like this:

Day 1
You log in.
You stuff resources into a project.
You log out.
Day 2
You log in.
You log out.
Day 3
You log in.
You log out.
Day 4
You log in.
You log out.

.... And on and on and ON AND ON like that until you just get sick and tired of it. You funnel all of your credits into buying resources for projects, and you spend all of your time playing the same fleet missions over and over again to get fleet marks to spend on projects. And then you either have to spend credits on dilithium or grind it yourself on top of that... It's grating. I don't think any normal human being could possibly enjoy this type of game.

I want to say that I liked what they did with the Duty Officer System. It was enjoyable to fly around exploring different sectors doing DOff missions. Why? It was new, unique, and as a former Pokemon player, I wanted to collect them all. Plus there wasn't very much to lose getting DOff's except time spent playing. I liked it.

In contrast, these trash compactor systems are very un-creative and become financial and resource sink-holes. They are boring, repetitive, and end up becoming stale for everyone. On top of that, there is loss inflicted upon any fleet that tries to advance through the ranks, and I'm not sure if the recompense you get is entirely worth it. How many millions of credits have you spent on fleet projects so far? For what? Have you received tangible items that you consider worth everything you spent?

What we need is something more engaging and FUN to replace Fleet and Reputation advancement systems. It also needs to be something that doesn't incur anything except loss of time spent playing upon the player.

I kind of wonder why we can't fly to New Romulus and do some dailies for them to gain reputation with them. I don't know about you guys, but I like shooting things and blowing stuff up much more than I like stuffing a trash bin full of supplies every day.

Fleet advancement should be more involved too. How about something similar to what EVE Online did with planet management? Let us found a colony on a planet and start building some buildings. We could have buildings that produce daily amounts of Fleet Marks, or Dilithium, or offer special Duty Officer missions, creative stuff like that. I'm not saying this is an answer either, I just think its one example of something more fun, unique, and creative than using a trash compactor.

Just my opinion.