View Single Post
Captain
# 19
11-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shar487a View Post
Talk about both thread necromancy AND slanted number crunching!

If you are going to compare different energy weapon type performances, you can't introduce a non-native set bonus to only of the one weapon types being compared and still expect an accurate conclusion.

Let's use your above example of 100 x 1k dmg Antiproton vs. 100 x 1k dmg Polaron damage, 11% critical hit rate, 60 critical severity, but now add Omega set Tetryon Glider to AP to compare against the Jem'Hadar set + Polarons:

Antiproton:
-non-critical hits -- 89 shots * 1k dmg / shot = 89000
-critical hits 11 shots * 1.9k dmg / shot = 20990
...initial total = 109990
-Omega 2-set Tetryon Shield Drain = 39 / shield facing * 4 shields * 100 shots = +15600 shield damage

final damage total = 125590

Polaron:
-non-critical hits -- 89 shots * 1k dmg / shot = 89000
-critical hits 11 shots * 1.6 = 17600
...initial total = 106600
-Bonus Jem'Hadar 8% damage multiplier = +8528

final damage damage = 115128

Yes, Polaron with the Jem'Hadar + Polaron set will output higher damage against non-shielded targets, but against shielded opponents, Antiproton + Tetryon Glider wins, especially while the target has tactical team active.

Also factor in that Jem'Hadar Engines are Combat Impulse (slowest impulse engine type available), and the Jem'Hadar Shields have very low capacity (5.3k on my Mobius Destroyer) -- then you realize that you turn your ship into a slow, brittle egg shell while these are equipped.

If you take the sets out of the comparison, Antiproton wins in all cases.
This thread is a pretty big necro, but... You're wrong. CI engines are only slow when you don't feed energy into them. Just like hyper-impulse engines suck on low energy levels, and the regulars are only good for normal power.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.