View Single Post
Captain
# 29
11-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
This whole argument, and several prior, seem to stem from a difference of opinion on the definition of the term "exploit." And, it appears that I have a different definition than most. Perhaps we can put this whole semantic debate behind us, if I offer some clarification.

In my opinion, as a Dev, somebody that is Exploiting is deserving of punishment. By extension, an action should be called an Exploit only if it is an action that the player should be held accountable for, and face punitive measures for.

If a player is utilizing a coding error, potentially without their knowledge, they should not be held accountable for it, in my opinion. And therefore, by my personal definition, that action is not Exploiting. To call it Exploiting would imply that disciplinary actions would be warranted.

My opinion on this may be quite bias, however.

For example, it was my responsibility that the Jem'Hadar Shield was benefiting from Brace-for-Impact Doffs in error at the time they rolled out to the public. It would have been improper - unfair, illogical - to punish players for utilizing that combination of items/powers, when it was MY responsibility that they were malfunctioning. Therefore, doing so was not what I would define as an Exploit.
If the bug worked across all shields I'd agree with you. However, it didn't take much effort in that example to see not only was is triggering Hazzard and Shield Distribution Doffs it also spammed client logs so bad it lagged people out. It was really bad b/c many people didn't know to disable their logging.

The solution from a player perspective was simple, dont use the shields until they're fixed. I agree players should be punished only when they know of a bug. But, I had asked in a thread and got zero reply if we could have a thread similar to the "is it working as intended" thread so people could be pointed the thread by GMs if they were reported. Multiple offenses should be temporary bans.

Really, that was a horrid example you gave b/c not only did people have an advantage, they could actually grief people into DCing.