View Single Post
Commander
# 604
12-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnutbutter View Post
I'd also like to point out that a VPN would be a great option if your entire ISP was being blocked, or you were being locked out by region (e.g., someone living in Singapore trying to access Netflix in America, or someone trying to play on European servers with friends there and unable to because they're in Canada). For this though, it's complete overkill... and actually way more likely to be blocked, considering VPNs and Proxies are usually used by people who try to hide their activities.

Given that Cryptic is already blocking stuff at the drop of a hat, it stands to reason most of those IPs are already blocked, or likely going to be blocked at some point in the future.

When you use public VPNs and proxies, you're not only throttling your internet speed, but you also potentially give unknown outside parties the opportunity to snoop through all of your network traffic. They could potentially pick up passwords, addresses, credit card information, etc. I'd discourage their use whenever possible, especially when you have an easy alternative.
I'll second this on the grounds that PWE doesn't like proxies either, and using one will more likely than not end up earning you a temp ban.
Lagging, D/Cing, or rubberbanding? Here's some help.

Current ships: A lot. RTR 15 National Championships....and counting