View Single Post
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,560
# 4
12-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Not a good idea, in my opinion. I'll be looking at this from a PvP perspective.

Although you say that the chance to split is not 100%, anything over 50% will very easily get out of hand. Why, you ask?

E(X) = 0.6(1)+0.4(-1) = 0.2

This shows the statistical average for growth over time. 60% chance to add one Tribble Fighter, 40% chance to remove one. Hence, on average, you will see 0.2 growth for every fighter shot at and destroyed. This results in shooting the fighters being useless as a long-run strategy. Sure, you may luck out and destroy them all, but chances are they will multiply.

Quote:
It's not 100% chance of them spawning new ones, and these fighters are very squishy (500 shield and 500 hull), so one torp spread/BFAW will end it.
Quote:
And then when the warp core breach destroys all your tribble fighters... courtesy of their special ability, you might just end up with more than you started with...
Aren't you basically contradicting yourself? A torp spread or BFAW might just make matters worse, as in the case of the warp core breach.

Quote:
Permanent subsystem disable until those fighters are destroyed. Would program it so last subsystem to go down would be weapons. Also how do you avoid it? Kill whatever is spawning these fighters, or kill the fighters themselves.
Any permanent subsystem disable is downright OP. Viral Matrix is bad enough as it is, despite being temporary, and you want to introduce something permanent? Bear in mind that carriers are typically the toughest ships to kill in-game, alongside cruisers. On the other hand, If something like the HEC or the Vesta carries these, if Shields, Engines, or Aux go down, you are getting blown up in moments.

TLDR: The subsystem disable mechanic combined with multiplication renders such a fighter unbalanceable. Might be fun in PvE, but this is completely not fun to face in PvP.