View Single Post
Career Officer
# 131
12-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post

Even writers can't fight the curve
Er. They can and do. That's what makes writing EFFORT and not simply REPORTING. And even good journalism has this tension to it.

Writing is where you take something, you establish it as improbable, and then you make it happen. How successfully you accomplish that is one measure of how well your writing gets judged.

In ST 2009, they made the original series crew winding up on their familiar places on the Enterprise improbable. Then they made it happen. And maybe didn't do the best job on every technical detail but made it emotionally believable if you turn your brain off.

Writing, narrative, storytelling... All are about taking an event or an outcome, establishing it as improbable, then doing the work to get to that improbable outcome.

A story with a probable outcome isn't a story. It's an anecdote.

For example:

- I went to the supermarket and bought peas. Not a story. There is no incident. Nothing improbable happens. Believable. No work required to convince people.

- I went to the supermarket and bought peas and a shopping cart dented my car on the way out. Story potential. Doesn't require much work. There is an incident. How improbable the chain of events are needs to be played up. Believable but little work required to convince people.

- I went to the supermarket and bought peas and aliens stole them as soon as I left the grocery store. Definitely a story. Requires a lot more work to sell because of its improbability. There is an incident. Something improbable happens. Unbelievable and requires a lot of work.

No work to tell the story = no story.

Storytelling IS the act of fighting the curve.