View Single Post
Commander
# 688
12-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphoenix View Post
Ok I know what I said before about jumping thru hoops.
And I still fill that way but I found a solution that I don't believe has
Been covered yet.. I'll give full description of how I found this so someone
More technical than me can give a proper explain action.

The short answer:
1) set your router to clone your computer's MAC address.
2) do a proper modem and router reset... Unplug both.. Plug in modem, wait for it to connect. Then plug in router.
3) play STO

The long answer (get some popcorn):

I was at work and connected to startrekonline.com with my phone.
Which I haven't been able to do on my computer. So I thought great its fixed!
Nope.
Computer still won't go website or play STO.. So I whipped out my laptop.. Same thing.. No website, no STO.. So then I tried my phone again.. Nope... When at home the Bluetooth connects to router .. So I tried using phone's network.. It connected.

I reset modem and router for new IP.. Still wouldn't connect.
I hit whatismyipaddress.com...
Basically it gave my provider's IP. And said I had a static address..

So I called my provider. They confirmed I have a DYNAMIC address..
And suggested I make sure my router was set properly for it.

I did. And it was correct.. Another dead end.. But..
I decided to look up if my router could be the culprit..

Which led me to this - http://forum.whatismyip.com/f2/my-ca...-router-t1676/

Basically blah blah blah -

Originally Posted by Shnerdly
Cable Modems in general use their own MAC and Serial Number for ISP subscription authentication. In the United States at least, they almost always use the MAC Address of the first device connected to the Cable Modem to get your external IP Address. If you have a Router connected you will have a given IP address. If you change that first device by connecting the computer directly to the Cable Modem AND reboot the Modem you will almost always get a new IP Address. If you change the first device connected to the Cable Modem and don't reboot the Modem you will, in most cases, loose Internet connectivity. If, after successfully changing the first device, you go back to the Router being connected to the Modem within a few hours of removing it and reboot the Modem again, you will, in most cases, get the same IP you previously had with the Router connected.

I have worked with Cable Modems from Various ISP's such as Cox, Comcast, Charter, Time Warner and RoadRunner when they were their own ISP and I have always found what I stated above to be the case.

I have found DSL Carriers to follow a whole different set of protocols.

Using a router that allows you to clone the WAN MAC simply allows you to get a new IP without changing you configuration when you are using a Cable ISP.
---

AH HA! Went into my router, found the button to tell it to clone my computer's MAC address ..
Restarted modem and router and game and website worked just fine..

No applause please.. Just send dilithium!
Ahh...wouldn't have thought of that. Yet another piece of information to assimilate...
Lagging, D/Cing, or rubberbanding? Here's some help.

Current ships: A lot. RTR 15 National Championships....and counting