View Single Post
Captain
# 26
12-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by benj2293 View Post
It has always been my impression that what set the difference between Federation Starships and Klingon Warships were simple: their purpose.
If there's one thing absolutely no Klingon ship is without (Orion ships excluded as they're not Klingon) it's damage output whether it be by use of pets or ship mounted Cannons. Fed cruisers are more about being giant bricks that take multiple ships to kill and can't kill anything else. Now we may have more Fed cruisers that get fire power such as the Regent, they're missing out on one of the weapons of choice for someone doing damage: Dual or Dual Heavy Cannons.
Will complaining and comparing it to cars make any difference to Cryptic or PWEs decision to leave it as it is: of course not. Will they ever change it? No. Then why complain, why not simply acknowledge that it's not the ship you're used to and adapt. The Borg never complain, so why should we.
Design follows purpose, which goes back to the post I started this with: Why did Cryptic lose money on this?

and the answer is: it was not well designed for the market it was ostensibly intended to reach.

i.e. the Design did NOT follow the Purpose, and anyone who's looked at industries that failed or companies that failed, can find a similar pattern of product design vs. Consumer preferences.

In the mind of the typical consumer, the "Flagship" design should be, for all intents and purposes, the "Gold Standard" of the product line- I use cars because car-culture is pretty universal-whether it's rallying or formula 1 or street racing, there's a definite broad spectrum that crosses between other subcultures.

in the case of the Oddy, that 'Flagship' feeling is fairly true-it epitomizes the ethos of Star Fleet.

in the case of the Bortasque', on the other hand, that 'flagship' sense is...lacking, because the ship is NOT designed to set a gold standard example of the factional values as demonstrated both in terms of game mechanics, AND fictional 'feel'.

It's an Edsel, or an Austin Princess, in a market where the purposes go more toward B-class rallying, Formula 1, street-racing, etc.

It's the wrong ship for the role, and lost money as a result-the Orion ships long predate it, and the devs' statement followed AFTER the release..and honestly? Borts are RARE in any venue of competitive play, and successful ones even MORE rare.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."

I play KDF, because being a genocidal maniac works better with Klingons, than explaining it as a member of Starfleet.