View Single Post
Career Officer
# 8
12-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers View Post
Hi PvP community,

Just something I've become aware of that you might want to consider.

I myself am a developer and, like most people work really hard each day trying to please my customers. The work I do is thankless, as I am so far removed from the end result.

Developers get the brunt of "this is not good enough", etc; but there comes a time when personal insults and tawdry comments actually start to push people away. Just think how you'd feel when you have worked really hard at something. Imagine how you would feel if an entire community tore that effort and hard work to pieces?

I know that there are many things that need to be fixed etc, but personally I am at a juncture myself, where "Guys, ok. I think that Cryptic get that you are unhappy."

It's stupid I know, but in my work, my attitude is generally this - either I am part of the solution, or part of the problem.

No-one in their right mind can remain objective, or open-minded in the face of the sort of abuse I see on the PvP forums of late.

As a PvPer, I am rather sad. Sad, that for whatever reasons, IMHO we collectively chose to be part of the problem.

Do with this as you may, its really just my sincere opinion on the matter.

We are dealing with fellow, human beings - not machines. They take this abuse home with them everyday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehale View Post
I can't speak for others but none of this is personal for me. Personal attacks are pointless regardless of whatever rational one can dream up to justify them. I think "Devs" tends to be the catch all term (like P2W is for all bad mechanics since F2P even if those things aren't literally P2W). I don't even know whether it's a Dev problem as much as a Ownership problem. I don't know who actually makes the decisions or how they determine what constitutes a success.

That being said, if a dog defecates on the carpet you can praise him, ignore him, or rub his nose in it and tell him "No! Bad dog!" Of the three options, reminding them that what they are doing is bad has a slightly better potential for achieving success than the other two.

Maybe they get that things aren't great but unless or until they can do something to fix the problem, negativity is an unfortunate reality. They can bury their head in the sand to protect fragile egos or they can recognize that a problem exists and take steps to resolve it.

Not everything is bad.

I'm not motivated by a need to troll the Development team. When they do well I'll be among the first in line to praise them for it (The DS9 Pack and Doffemon were excellent). Sometimes I'll even shy away from commenting on something that's been beaten into the ground unless a new wrinkle appears. But the only way anything can improve is if we continue to give feedback (hopefully in constructive ways), especially if it's negative.

Hale actually drops cake in PVP when he explodes. The Devs snuck it into the last patch.
Offering ONE MILLION EC for a screenshot of the cake in the loot box above the text...

SteveHale was killed by [your lucky ass name here]

Back on topic, I concur.

If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.