View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 143
12-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
I disagree with the general point: I dislike what JJ's done to Trek, and is continuing to do, and don't consider it any more than trash unfit to carry the title Star Trek. However, I also respect people's right to like different things to me
That all fine, but it has absolutely nothing to do with my "general point", which was that the writers of Trek disregard realism whenever they want. "Q" was just one example to show that it is hardly exclusive to JJ's movies. So while you may not like JJ-Trek, that has nothing to do with my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
I get that it doesn't destroy the original, I just think it's weak to go that route, rather than being truly original
You mean like how TNG wasnt "truly original", and just piggybacked on the existing Star Trek brand name? Or how DS9 wasnt "truly original", and just piggybacked on the existing Star Trek brand name? Or how Voyager wasnt "truly original" and just piggybacked on the existing Star Trek brand name? Yep, thats right. Nothing after TOS was "truly orignal", as they were all just piggybacking on the existing Star Trek brand name.

Pretty much any complaint(besides lens flairs) that is leveled against the JJ movies can also be leveled against the previous Trek series. They also disregarded realism(see "Q") and also were not "truly original" beyond TOS. None of that means you have to change your mind about not liking the movie, it just means that if you have a problem with one but not the other then you have a double standard.

Last edited by betawatcher; 12-12-2012 at 02:06 PM.