View Single Post
Community Moderator
# 32
12-14-2012, 12:48 PM
If your only reason to buy master keys and open lockboxes is to win a ship, then I agree that it's got a very poor value.

My experience with certain lockboxes was that they rewarded DOFF packs more often than not, and therefore buying a key was less expensive than buying a pack.

I'm not saying that it's a great value, just that it ended up being slightly less expensive than buying DOFF packs... assuming you want DOFF's (I did).

I'm saving stacks of certain lockboxes which I will open at my leisure, when it suits me to buy a key. I'm in no hurry. I have no illusions that I will win a ship. If I ever do, I'll probably try to trade it in for a ship I do want.

The lockbox values got better when they revamped the older reward tables and dropped most of the junk rewards (or moved them into the Lobi store). Proof that they do actually listen to feedback, though they don't necessarily do what the players are asking for and I'm sure every gram of feedback is taken with a liter of profit margin. But they pretty much have to make a profit somehow, so I can't get too mad about it.

What I have to do is budget my time and my spending on this game, which I do.

If you don't like something in the game, don't give it your time... they will have to decide how and whether to make it more attractive to more players. If you don't like something in the store, don't buy it... same thing.

They will do whatever necessary to draw in players and get them playing the game. They have to. The question is whether the messages we're sending PWE have dollar signs on them or not. I'm convinced the Devs have a love for Trek... and I'm equally convinced they have a greater love for their paycheck, just like I have for my paycheck. We have to appeal to both to get what we want.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek