View Single Post
Captain
# 23
12-17-2012, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjudicatorhawk View Post
Greetings, Captains!

My name is Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton - you can call me Hawk for short, if you prefer. Some of you may know me as Arbiter Hawk from Paragon Studios, where I was a Systems Designer on City of Heroes for the past two years.

I hail you now from the Systems Design team here on STO, working on exciting new powers, enemies, items, ships, and more! I've been reading various threads in the forums about your wants and hopes for the game, but I figured it was time to stop lurking and come join the conversation - so feel free to use this thread to talk about enemy groups you really enjoy fighting, ships you love seeing, or just a greeting if you want. I won't be able to reply to everyone, but I'll be reading all your input, and I look forward to meeting you all.

Signing off for now,

-Adjudicator Hawk
Well, this was meant to be a short post...

Hi and welcome to you Hawk. You've asked me to talk about enemies and ships that I enjoy fighting. I'd like instead to talk about enemies and ships that I'd like to add to the Foundry missions that I make for STO.

Your first reaction is probably something along the lines of "I have nothing to do with the Foundry," and that is probably true. But, here is the situation in a nutshell: When the Foundry was developed for STO, there was a coordinated effort to put STO things into it, such as enemies, ships, props, and environments. Then, the entire operation moved to NW.

Now, there is basically a big disconnect between the STO team that makes content for the game and Foundry authors who have really been the only source of new story content for well over a year and a half, give or take a few exceptions.

Major shifts in dev goals happened that further isolated the Foundry.

Long story short, our Foundry community enjoys making content for this game, but we need stuff from the other teams. However, the other teams have shifting priorities and almost no time to give us new enemies, new ships, new environments and particularly new assets. We are lucky if a few of the sets that were made for featured episodes finally make their way into the foundry.

It's the same story with other stuff. For example, we've been asking for 2 years for a transporter pad prop. But, instead we have to make them ourselves out of platforms and Klingon barrels. There are dozens and dozens of already made transporter pads in this game, and we can't get anyone from any team to add it our list of usable props.

Other long-term requests include: a flat primitive textured as a seamless floor or ceiling.

It's the same with almost every new ship, new species, and new enemy. So much of what has been added to the game by other teams, from TOS costumes to Tholians were never added for Foundry authors. There have been some recent exceptions, but they are few and far between.

So... I'm not really sure what you do there, and it probably has nothing to do with the Foundry. But if there is anything, and I mean anything that you or your team does, from an environmental sound effect, to a mob, to a costume, to a set, or a prop, or an emote... please do anything that you can to facilitate that the Foundry benefits from whatever your team is designing.

We need the support of other teams. Let the players also show off your work.

Last edited by kirksplat; 12-17-2012 at 07:46 PM.