View Single Post
Captain
# 18
12-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post
After spending all morning pressing way too many buttons on my calculator, I will amend my statement and say that yes, armor suffers from diminishing returns.

After testing on my Fleet Negh'var with five identical layers of Neutronium Alloy, I can tell you that the efficiency of each layer of armor in adding its resistance to the previous amount came out to be: 98.3%, 94.9%, 92.0%, 86.1%, and 81.5%.

The total loss of performance across five layers of armor was just under half of one of the consoles i.e. about 1/10th of the potential. It's up to the reader to decide if this is a significant loss of performance.

Personally I'm not convinced that it's entirely deliberate given the erratic way the numbers jump around, and I strongly suspect rounding errors in the game's code.
I knew I wasn't crazy. It isn't as radical as I suggested (I was going with the dim-re habits of RCS as a hypothesis starting point) but still noticeable to the eye.

I haven't tried it out yet, but the guys in my fleet are pretty sure that using different kinds of armor with each other (neutronium' +monanitum +etc...) does bypass the diminishing returns effect. I've just been okay with the diminishment of the second neut' on my ships, but when I get my Fleet Neb' I will be considering a third of a different type.