View Single Post
Republic Veteran
We see lots of posts by players who are looking for an active fleet. I'm guessing that what they are looking for could be one or more of the following:
  • people online when they are, who they can chat with in-game.
  • people online when they are, and there's a Ventrilo or TeamSpeak server so they can voice chat with them.
  • people online when they are, and available to team up for missions or PvP.

Just about all fleets will affirm that they are active, but they may be responding to only one or two of the above indicators, or with another rationale entirely. For example, they could be active on their forum (i.e., lots of recent posts and discussion going on), or they have a dedicated group into one or more specific activities (such as role-play).

Fleets work hard to maintain a good activity level. Some fleets try to maximize their in-game activity by focusing on one playtime range (or they may focus on one time zone, and you can assume that the evening hours in that time zone are the most popular playtime range).

Some fleets go for maximum numbers of members, so that there's a better chance there will be a good number of members online at the same time.

Some fleets focus on making sure there are a few dedicated and hardcore players online all the time, so there's always someone to talk to (think duty officer).

And some fleets encumber their members with check-in and/or participation requirements to help make sure there's always someone to talk to or team.

Of course, this is all quantitative, not qualitative. Here at the VKF, we focus on qualitative. We're not interested in being the largest fleet, or having the most players lined up for a photo shoot, or even fielding a ton of members for joint fleet actions, We are interested in attracting other gamers who share our core values, and who want to have friends like us. We may fly solo sometimes, we may fly together. We may chat with each other, we may remain silent. We do what each of us wants to at any point in time, and don't enforce specific activity on each other.

The VKF is a group of gamers who play mostly STO, who value logic and intellect in gameplay, and who treasure both diversity and the freedom to do what we want, when we want. There are enough of us so that there's usually someone to chat with, at least some parts of every day. There's often someone to team with, at least some parts of every day. And we have a TeamSpeak server for any whom wish to use it - when they want to. And we engage in a little light role-play now and then - when the mood strikes us.

We have an active forum at The Vulcan Kolinahr Fleet where we share information and game tips, chat on (we have a live chat box) about whatever we want, and in general, spend time together as friends. We often find ourselves chatting and posting on the forum, and also chatting and playing in STO at the same time. I find most days there are 3-5 people on during the daytime and evening hours (US), and often late into the night and early in the morning there's often one or two around.

So yes, I call that active, but it's likely not nearly as active as some of the fine, larger Fleets in STO. I'm not knocking them either; there are some great fleets out there! But we feel the VKF has found its niche, and we seem to continue to attract people who share our values, and our friendship pool is continuing to grow. We've been around since before Launch Day, and will be around...well perhaps forever is pushing it, but I can count at least a handful of members who will remain with us for as long as they can click a mouse button (myself included).

Before you make a choice for joining a Fleet, please take my advice and research your choices carefully. Make sure the fleet you join is the one you'll be happy with. Imo, a bad decision up-front can sour you on some of the best aspects of STO for a long time to come. You might as well take enough time to make an informed choice that fits you. If it happens to be the VKF, that's great! If it's another Fleet, then I'm sure we'll see you in the quadrant from time to time, we do quite a bit of joint fleet activity, and have alliances with lots of other Fleets in STO.

Regardless of where you go in STO, know that the VKF members will act honorably in battle (thanks to learning from the Klingons), will use our logic and intellect to control the power of emotion (thanks to learning from Earthlings), and will answer all Federation or Klingon hails & distress calls.

Live Long and Prosper!