View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-22-2012, 10:47 AM
I'd love this too. The ability to create actual failure conditions would mean a lot. Not to mention the dramatic tension having an actual danger in a hazardous environment.

After playing Kirkfat's "Trojan Horse", I though of how nifty it would be to set up a series of explosions triggered by reach markers, so that each explosion would go off right behind the player as they crossed that explosions reach marker. Fine tune the distance between explosions and reach marker edges, and you could create a rolling explosion that would chase the player like the Millennium Falcon out of the Death Star, and if they did damage, then you could further make it so the player would have to maintain a minimum given speed in order to avoid death. Add an obstacle course element, and Bob's your uncle.

Or you could kill the player with an explosion, and have the same thing that triggered the explosion also trigger a map transition at the respawn point, so the player could "die", then wake up in sickbay being told that they were knocked unconscious but were pulled out of the fire by a heroic boff or something.

Yeah, some folks might abuse it, but they'd get immediately lynched in the reviews and reports, so I don't see how that's a real issue.