View Single Post
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
12-23-2012, 07:24 AM
I would say no particular map building technique is going to be inerrant ly superior to others. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. I say use whatever fits your need for each particular map. The advantage I see in this is it gives you access to the interior backdrops. Which are sometimes better than the exterior ones, especially if you need to have a window out into space, like on a starship.

I found out about this technique from Alimac. I asked him how he got an earth background out the door of his shuttle bay. He built it in the negative space around the ESD interior. So I used it on "Somewhere in Time" for my astrometrics lab. Built it above Starbase 39. found out that there was an area around the original geometry of the map, outside of which you couldn't spawn or place npcs, that may have changed now but I haven't checked.

But keep posting these, everyone, because you can safely bet that not everyone will know everything and there are plenty of new and newer authors out there. Sometimes even us old hands don't know everything.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Commander Shepard sees your science... and laughs