View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Was the "lid" actually present in ST III? I though that was added in IV or V.

The Torp emitter in III is also physically different, being a flat plate with some kind of glowing panel or mesh pattern on it, whereas all later BOB's have a more traditional gun-like muzzle.

Hadn't seen those eps of DS9, so I didn't know plasma torps were explicitly seen in the TNG era. Interesting to know.

It is plausible though that there are later, more advanced versions of the STIII type plasma weapon, but for reasons of cost or situational utility they aren't standard fittings. That could be used to explain the odd torpedo you linked earlier, as well as maybe why the in game plasma torps are different: maybe something's changed in the decades between DS9 and STO that makes that class of plasma projectiles more economical or advantageous than they were before.

Might also be possible those are advanced evolutions of the TOS Romulan plasma weapon, but I'll admit I feel that that might be stretching things a bit too much. If not just for for plausibilities sake, I do prefer a more high-profile sense of technological progression. Same reason why I don't like Aztec paneling on pre-movie era Fed ships, or transporters and photon torpedoes in the ENT era. Stuff shouldn't be so homogenous across that kind of time scale. Modern navy ships aren't made of wood planks and don't fire black powder muzzle-loaders, after all.