View Single Post
Captain
# 24
12-26-2012, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bberge1701 View Post
Personally, I would like to see rank insignia for Commodore. It's canon, but hasn't been mentioned since TOS. I'm OK with the Rear Admiral Lower/Upper Half that we have, since that's what the U.S. Navy currently uses. I just read the Wikpedia article on Commodore, and it sounds to me like it's essentially equivalent to "Fleet Captain", more of a title than a rank.
Commodore, at least from a US Navy Perspective, IS Rear Admiral Lower Half. It was changed in the US Navy at 1985, I believe (assuming I am remembering the date correctly). the only reason I know of that it is never mentioned past TOS is, since the ranks reflected real life US Navy ranks, Starting with TNG on, the rank of Commodore was replaced with Rear Admiral Lower Half.

Bottomline, it is a defunt and old rank, it no longer exists. If you want to call your Rear Admiral Lower half a Commodore, that is your choice, I am not going to argue about that. But the rank insignia would be the same as it is essentially a one star Admiral.

And again, for the games story purposes, the rank would have been out of rotation for 150 to 200 years.