View Single Post
Career Officer
# 18
12-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash525 View Post
Actually, I'd have thought it would.

Just as CBS have allowed the Constitution, but they wont allow a Fleet Constitution ~ they have decided at what 'level' the Constitution is allowed to be. If this in no way affects CBS, then Cryptic should be able to do what they want with the Constitution. It is CBS that wont allow it.

...not to rain on your parade or anything, but you've not quite thought that logic through.
I think people overestimate CBS as "Keepers of the Faith" and underestimate CBS as "Keepers of the Licensing Machine."

While the chronology issue is a partial rationale... and I recall hearing that they weren't necessarily happy with how common lockbox ships were... And had cold feet about a Connie at all.

I'd urge people to consider this from another perspective.

Cryptic is, from CBS' perspective, the "post-TNG online Star Trek game."

As long as Cryptic sticks to that, CBS is more free to license OTHER online Star Trek games.

I think that was part of the rationale behind them also licensing Infinite Space. This is the post-TNG game. That is the DS9 game.

They're fine with homages to anything within the Star Trek brand here, a position that Decipher more or less pushed them and Paramount to as a licensee. (Decipher argued... in negotiations that I believe required lawyers on both sides... that "Trials on Tribble-ations" meant things like a TOS Connie were included with a DS9 license without having to acquire a TOS license. Paramount ultimately relented but insisted that the presence be minimal and restricted to what was seen in "Trials and Tribbleations." Effectively, a DS9 licensee could use Kirk but only as that guy Sisko met and talked about a few times.)

A T5 Connie would cut into potential additional revenue from a TOS online game which could be licensed to another studio. An original Breen design would cut into prospects for another game licensee much less.

The less it cuts in, the more tolerable it is. From that point, what becomes important is that it has a story rationale of SOME kind, to reinforce the value of the IP's lore and avoid confusion in branding. (Ie. CBS probably doesn't care so much that player Starfleet Captains have a Breen ship so much as that it's clearly identified as a non-Starfleet ship, which makes things like toy branding easier, by maintaining design standards that reinforce product labeling. They want consumers to recognize it as a ship which is not a standard Starfleet ship and which has Breen origins.)