View Single Post
Captain
# 68
12-27-2012, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelfwin1

So really Cryptic ... , put in the work , separate the two skill/powers systems and in the long run you will reap the awards by not having to try to balance each item to function in both PVP-PVE .

Quote:
Originally Posted by stark2k View Post
I think you have it all wrong in that it is not so much the skills but the ships and OP consoles from +1 CStore ships.
I'm willing to examine that , but first perhaps we can look at one semi-concrete belief that many hardcore PVPers share :
"If you get better at PVP , you will get better at PVE ! "

I'm not sure that is always true anymore .
My last two disappointments in PVP were being spam-tractor-ed by two different players pets , and having players constantly zip around so fast that most of my shots missed ... but worse yet (4 me) I could not even see them clearly on screen) .

Now please take those two "negative" experiences and translate them to PVE .
Where would you need to zip about at insane speeds & insane turn rates in PVE ???
Where would you need to apply a double whammy of tractor beam spam on a single NPC ?

I play STF's regularly , and I can tell you that none of those tactics would have made me an infinitely "better player" there .

So the way I see it , PVE needs to exist in it's own universe , and PVP needs to exist in it's own universe .
Separate skills , possibly separate weapons & ships .

If things remain the way they are then nothing will change , and the valiant efforts such as the Boot Camp will not amount to much in the end .
Why ?

Simple : I have 14 Alts . No matter how much a player w/1 alt may try to match my ingame income , he can't .
There are players who have been honing their PVP skills&equipment for moths/years in this game . There is no way in hell that a player (even one who went through a Boot Camp) can come close to matching such a player in STO PVP .

And THAT is why STO PVP needs a "fresh start" to grow and flourish .
You can't have playes who are on such monumentally different level competing equally @ endgame .
Because one will be painfully PWNED , and that player will say "thanks ... but no thanks" . And that is what we have today ... be that thanks to "op" ships , carrier spam , pugs VS premades and ships that can be fine tuned to the Nth degree (but that Nth degree only being worth something truly extra in PVP) -- while at the same time every few weeks something gets introduced/nerfed in PVE that endangers/screws that ever so carefully crafted PCP killing machine of the PVP pro .

Quote:
Ground is just plain Tard to be honest, the system needs a complete overhaul
Actually I disagree w/you here totally .
STO's ground PVP is one of those early Cryptic "miracles" that they have yet to find a reason to screw up . It is actually balanced , it is actually playable , and as such it is not ruled by premades (all that much) .

See , I may fear a "Panda" or a "TSI" player in space , but on ground ... , if I face them w/ my Sci , I know that they can have only two powers to disable me .
And if they don't have that ... , may the Prophets help them .
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .