Thread: What If...
View Single Post
Captain
# 2
12-27-2012, 04:15 AM
would be a little unfair for weapons that profit from high tier sci skills.
at the end, we would endup where the skillsystem started...with each energy type skillable, which didn't allow you to change your weapons without a respec.

it would also force me into synergies taht i do not want: phaser and tricobald, sci leach builds only with tetryon or polaron...which makes other combinations not viable anymore.

actually i think the skilltree is not needed anyway. and here is why...80% of the skillpoints are identical to each and every class and build...the sci skills are actually the only one that vary from build to build.
i think getting rid of the skilltree in favour of a more customizable ship (consoles and deflectors in particular) would be the better approach.
meaning that instead of skilling for instance flow capacitator in your skilltree you put in a flow capacitator console (with more than 80 points on it)...if you switch abilities away from flow capacitator, just take out the console...Like that you can customize your ship each and everytime to the needs of the mission ahead without being cut short by your skilltree.

another example, threat controle, this skill should be in no way a fixed skill in a skilltree...it would be best on a console that is full with stats for tanking.

it is really "cryptic" how cryptic could redesign the skilltree a year ago, or more, without even looking at other games that just had way more conveniant skill systems. as it is now, i'm not even sure if it is actually better than before...there are less skills, but the system is the same awefull one as before.
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 12-27-2012 at 04:21 AM.