View Single Post
Captain
# 65
12-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
While the definition of "religion" is iffy, given the Klingons' claim that they killed their gods, to me there does seem to be a schism in Klingon society when it comes to notions of honor vs. glory. And I think that's where the division really is--the "samurai" look at honor in bushido-like terms as a strict code to be followed regardless of whether it brings one victory, but the "Vikings" speak of honor but they really mean glory...winning at all costs. If you look at Martok's behavior, drinking over the corpses in Central Command, it really looks like something you'd expect to see in Beowulf. But I suspect Worf wouldn't have done that; he seems like the type who would at least distinguish between military targets and civilian noncombatants who were likely also in the building.

(In all seriousness, when I had to study Beowulf in school, I just looked at the characters as TNG Klingons and suddenly it made a whole lot of sense why they said and did what they did.)

As to how Worf ended up following the "samurai religion" instead of the "Viking" one--a lot of his education about what it means to be Klingon came from books...books that I'd bet were not always up to date, in the Federation, with the latest cultural developments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onenonlydrock View Post
It's like reading stories about Knights and Chivalry, then looking into the history to find out that Knights weren't really all that Chivalrous.
I think this is the best way to explain it, and it does make a lot of instances in TNG and DS9 make sense. For example there was Edward the Black Prince who was known as the Flower of Earthly Chivalry, and executed men, women, and children when he captured towns.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.