View Single Post
Survivor of Romulus
# 29
12-31-2012, 12:56 PM
I think you're all missing a very important point. It's not a matter of too much debris or too many nebulae or anything like that. The fact of the matter is that the systems seem exactly like what they are, square blocked maps.

I understand certain restrictions such as ship orientation were put into place for the TV series because of the limitations with studio models, but this is where the game needs to evolve. It's long over do that they finally increase the ascent/descent angles so we don't have to "corkscrew" and they really need to start migrating to larger sized spacial maps. They have shown with the "Adventure zones" that they can build larger maps, well it's time they started taking advantage of that for the system maps as well.

Warp speed is restricted inside solar systems for only extreme emergencies so why not build out the sol system map where you fly by the planets until you get to ESD (transwarp to ESD would still place you directly outside of ESD). Everything is so crammed together in these tiny mostly flat block maps that there is no sense of size and grandeur.

And just for the record and I don't know about anyone else, but I don't buy the whole "we don't have the tech to remove the sector block walls". Sorry but I'm calling bull**** on that one. The real issue is that the game engine isn't powerful enough to have the entire sector map be all one, however there is no reason why the map couldn't be divided into larger sectors...ie beta ursa, zeta, and alpha tranguli be all one continious sector block, and same with federation, klingon, and romulan space.