View Single Post
Career Officer
# 5
12-31-2012, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madlad14 View Post
Got a call from my credit card bank today telling me that my card was compromised. Upon further discussion I was told that my card was one of many that were involved at a security breach where credit card data was stolen. The charge in question was PWE Cryptic, for the amount of monthly subscription. I verified that it was indeed correct and not fraudulent, but they were unable to tell me where the data compromise occurred. Was there a breach of billing info at Cryptic? Would customers typically be notified if there was a breach?
Typically in these situations the actual breach occurs at the payment processor used by PWE and not with PWE itself. I had my credit card info stolen after I made a payment on another site. The third party processor had been hacked and several credit card numbers including mine were stolen. I didn't know anything had happened until my bank contacted me to tell me they had closed my account and issued another card with a different number. I would imagine that something similar happened to your card. I would get a card with a new account number if you have not already.

Porthos is not amused.