View Single Post
Career Officer
# 12
01-01-2013, 07:16 AM
There's a word for basing a placate off of doing critical damage to an enemy with any random attack.

You all know that word. Regardless of what it may or may not interupt it is a nonsensical ability. Just from the word go, right out the gate, as soon as an idea forms and that idea says in whole or in part:

"I'm going to beat the snot out of you and you're going to sit there and take it."

As a game designer you need to know that that won't work. This isn't something way out there or esoteric. This is a common value in game design. There's no debate here. Get your heads out of the sand and look around. See how many offensive placates exists in competitive MMO's and see how they are handled. Oh hell. You won't look. I'll just tell you.

Generally they are on command. Everyone has one. And they are called various things, but interupt is one of them. Because they stop people from using a long cast ability. But they have a long cooldown. Generally longer than MOST of an opposing players offensive cooldowns. So you (both) have the ability to interupt ONE long cast ability every few minutes. Is that bad? No its an important part of game play. Should it become a passive ability that you can inflict on someone simply by critting them?

Yah...not so much.

I hope my charm really came through in this post. I've been working on my 'people skills'.
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.