View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2wsucks View Post
For my part I'd prefer to fight in the "vanilla" to the "elite". The issue always comes down to what some consider "vanilla" others do not. This could lead to like thinking people to start "smurfing" just b/c they prefer to avoid all the power creep.

I think you'd find if there really was a "paupers" style w/only common gear/doffs and non lotto/zen ships and no rep system bonuses you'd find the better players would still pound the crap out of the new players. Even at base level there's a huge difference between an unbuffed alpha and a normal attack, just as there's a huge difference between a defensively buffed target and one that is unbuffed. This means those who know when to apply buffs/debuffs/alphas will trash those who don't know how to properly set up a defensive buff or counter Sci debuffs such as VM and SNB.
I agree that better players are gonna shine wherever you put them, and that's not a problem. I remember the days of leveling up my Klingon through PvP and those were good times that I miss. I don't mind getting beat by people with the same tool box of gear/ships/doffs. I have no excuse if they beat me and would be inspired to work harder. When I know I will never have the same gear as you, that's not inspiring.
When gear I could buy from the PvP store went away and people were wearing things from STF's and then later using gear from the zen stores, I stopped joining queues.

The incentive for better players not to hang around in vanilla matches with low level gear is that their personal PvP score would not progress past 25 there. Eventually one's ego would drive a person to go do some elite matches and progress/maintain their high scores. If you're willing to make yourself more beatable with lower level gear and just want a clean match, you're welcome to do the normal vanilla stuff for fun also.