View Single Post
Lieutenant
# 3 Not a fan of this idea
01-01-2013, 09:10 PM
I have to say, I strongly disagree with the OP's sentiments on this matter; if anything, the removal of the auto-channel switch is a welcome fix for one of the more annoying bugs to appear in the game since the S7 launch.

In-game, I am frequently juggling between multiple chat channels, and it is helpful for me to be able to send single messages to a different channel without having to select the tab on the bottom-left corner of the chat window every time I want to do so. Prior to Season 7 (as well as since the last patch), this is easily done using /*named chat channel here*, followed by whatever message you want to send. For example, if I'm on my "Fleet" channel and want to send a quick comment to "Zone" chat, I can type /Zone followed by my message without having to move my mouse to the chat tab to switch from "Fleet" to "Zone" and back to "Fleet" again. It seems to me that this is how the chat system was originally designed to function.

With the system the OP described, and was prevalent due to a bug for the first few weeks of S7, using the /command means that I have to switch the chat window tab back every time I want to send a one-time message to a different channel. Having been accustomed to the older system, this bug resulted in more than a few frustrating moments when messages meant for different channels were sent to the wrong place.

In my view, if players want to change their primary chat channel, it is much more straightforward for them to manually select the chat channel tab of the channel they want; when I go into a Fleet Action or STF, I just change the tab manually to "Team" chat, then switch back when it is finished. Use of the /*named chat channel* feature should be reserved for single messages only.

If there is a demand for the OP's feature among other players, I would hope that the devs make it so that it is not enabled by default, as for me it is nothing but a nuissance.