View Single Post
Lieutenant
# 23
01-03-2013, 08:49 AM
I don't want to take anything away from the original post or the well thought out comments made there. However, I do have one simple question...
Why play?

If you are playing for the in-game pay-off, then you are probably never going to be happy no matter what changes the developers make. Now I've played MMO's for a long time (3 years EQOA, 3 years WoW, 2.5 years CoH with no overlap, plus numerous other MMO's in-between), and this is something that is true no matter what game we are talking about.

You need to actually enjoy the game itself. It doesn't make sense to place all your enjoyment in the value of dilithium rewards or gear or in-game items, because once you acquire that then what do you do? If the process of getting those said items isn't rewarding into and of itself, then you are quite simply wasting your time.

I log in, play some STFs, do a mission or two, check out the Foundry and have a great time doing that. I am not overly focused on the "finish line" or the "end result". I am focused on simply playing. I don't play with the purpose of acquiring the tokens or rewards, I acquire these items as a consequence of playing a game I enjoy. (But it took me almost 9 years of MMOing to figure that out.)

If you are feeling (as the original post suggests) the "need to grind" then that is on you. You don't have to grind. You don't have to do anything. You don't have to max out your reputations for all twenty of your characters. If you enjoy doing that then fine, but the tone here is that most of you don't....
So don't do it. It's really that simple.

I really don't envy the developers on arguments such as this. If they make progression too easy or too quick (i.e. less grindy), then people complain that there is no challenge. If they make it too challenging, then people complain that the game is too hard and they are not motivated to try. The problem is that one persone's version of adequate challenge is not the same as someone else's.

Regardless of challenge, if you are NOT enjoying what you are doing to overcome that challenge, then once again you are wasting your time.

Last edited by haldan1968; 01-03-2013 at 08:52 AM.