View Single Post
Survivor of Romulus
# 16
01-04-2013, 02:33 PM
What I like is story, plot, I like to think about what I'm doing and what I'm reading or experiencing. I like to get caught up in it, immerse myself. I don't care if your story takes 15 minutes or 3 hours. Whether it has combat or no combat. It can be a great example of well-written literature or the worst kind of trashy paperback stuff. But that's what Star Trek is about to me: stories of all different kinds. I love space battles too, but to be Star Trek, it shouldn't be gratuitous, it's gotta serve the story. People who make Star Trek TV shows, games, movies, etc don't always get that part right. Sometimes you have to dig deep to get a real decent story.

Mindless pew pew doesn't appeal to me. AFK doesn't appeal to me. I play a game to play it, not to watch as it goes by.

Bottom line for me is that grinding is a choice. No one is forcing anyone to grind. If you want the rewards associated with the grindy systems, it is your choice to accept that you must grind to get those rewards or do without. I choose to do without. I choose not to grind.

But, because all that doesn't appeal to me doesn't mean the missions in questions are an exploit and doesn't mean people shouldn't make them. The Foundry can be many things to many people, each person gets to decide what it should be to them. I do believe they are a way to game the system, a way to find the absolute minimum amount of effort for maximum gain. I don't like these missions, and I wish the game were such that people wouldn't want to make or play them. But that's life.

So, I don't like 'em, but you go ahead and keep making 'em if you want. And call me an elitist if you want, I'll take it and wear it as a badge of honor.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.