View Single Post
Captain
# 41
01-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
The problem is that empty, black space is pretty boring, and removes any sense of movement. As annoying as the asteroid fields and in map nebulae may be, they give you clues as to your position relative to other things/players/mobs in the map.
Not quite. STO uses "Space Flecks" to convey movement as well, and there are many things that could be used to get your bearings other than nebulae and asteroid fields. Prominent stars and stuff in the background, and now that the Minimap is actually somewhat useful, I think this isn't needed as much anymore.

Quote:
In general, colored space has been the trend for a good while now. Shows/Movies used to depict space as a dark, black nothing. Then, someone got the bright idea to make it more visually interesting, and now everyone has followed suit. That "colored space" has never really been explained, or given a name. To a lay person, the only thing they've seen from REAL space, that looks anything like that are Nebulae, therefor: Colored Space=Nebulae.
Doesn't mean it's a good idea. Sure it might make a few maps more interesting, but when every map does it, it just looks silly. The Azure Nebula is supposed to be huge, impressive, and omnipresent and that can be seen throughout the sector, but when every system has a nebula in the background too, then it's kind of moot point.

Would simple starfields make it more boring and blank? Absolutely. That is positively what we want. It would give the areas that do have asteroids or nebulas a unique feel rather that a "seen it" reaction.

Quote:
If we're trying to be more realistic, than any system map that doesn't have a dominant star (sun), should leave your ship dark and unlit. But the shows never cared about that, every ship was always lit from somewhere off screen, no matter where they were supposed to be.
As I said, it's not realism, it's believability. I can't look up into the sky on earth and see a Nebula, so why should every corner of the universe have one? (Including earth? ) By no means does it need to be completely realistic. Star Trek never has been. But as science fiction, it needs some form of reality.

Quote:
At this point, we aren't going to go back and redo the skyfiles and geometry for 1000's of maps. A few could be targeted, and we can work on reducing the nebulae/asteroids in future maps (I think this has already been going fairly well with recent additions? i.e. Tau Dewa, and the Azure nebula)
Then make new ones! Lot's of pretty star fields!

Quote:
Many of those things are in the game somewhere already. But, they may not be as prominent or noticeable as the nebulae are. Nebulae were likely used so ubiquitously early on because they didn't have time to make custom one off stuff for each of those 1000+ maps. Now, we still don't have a ton of time, but we can do cooler stuff once in a while. You talk about how everything is always the same. I point to New Romulus, which has MASSIVE Auroras, that no one has mentioned. . . We have, and we will continue to add other cool space bits where we can, but we cannot retroactively do those everywhere in the game that already exists.
Those are supposed to be Auroras? Oh.....

Yeah that's a problem, they look more like the atmosphere is melting. And I have complained about that in the Tribble forums before. Could make those more like this? That would look much better.

Quote:
ETA: The current DS9 Skyfile was made by me. I actually thought that the purple streak was WAY more subtle than anything that had been there before, or any of the other nebulae in the game at the time. I used the stars I did (few, and dim) to try and emphasize the 'blackness' of space, and what we had always seen in the show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurepastnow View Post
The purple splotch in the Bajor system is canon, though. That's the Denorios Belt.
I realize that the Denorios Belt is canon, and I realize that it is purple. But it is not that big nor that wispy. In fact it was quite dark. I would also suggest making the stars brighter Taco, they really do disappear on lower end machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdmc View Post
Normally true. The episode from voyager called "Night" Would be interesting choice for one map. Maybe a PvP map where all you have is each other to get your bearings. Also outside of the new lighting mechanic it would be an easy map to make.
That would be awesome sauce!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
HI HO, HI HO. OFF DUTY SLOT NEEDS TO GO!

"It's better to ask a dumb question, than to remain an idiot forever."