View Single Post
Career Officer
# 33
01-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai View Post
Whilst I acknowledge the presence of MACOs in ENT, I vehemently dislike the notion of "Starfleet Marines".

My respect to the folks who planted the Stars and Stripes on Iwo Jima, but I feel that any dedicated standing army doesn't sit well with UFP Starfleet's humanitarian/exploratory/peacekeeping force.

Sure, ST Marines are popular in many unlicenced RPGs, but they have never been acknowledged as canon, nor did Roddenberry like the notion of a overtly militaristic Starfleet in the first place (apparently the TOS cast complained that the TWoK "Monster Maroons" were too militaristic).

I'd prefer to think that the Starfleet ground personnel on AR-558 were simply volunteers pulled from regular ship complements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerfan9751 View Post
This. Roddenberry was adamant that Starfleet was NOT a military organization. Granted, the Dominion War necessitated a "Ground" fleet, but I like to think that was a necessary thing for that time. They created a ground unit, and dissolved it after the war. But I do not believe the Federation has a standing Army/marine/ground force.

The problem there is that that line of thinking kind of flies in the face of common sense, especially in the aftermath of the Dominion War. I would think that Starfleet (given the conflicts over its history with the Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, Tholians, Borg, Dominion etc and what the Voyager ran into) would realise that the rest of the galaxy may not think the same way as the Federation does. Especially with the Dominion War, with planet upon planet being invaded back and forth, that simple volunteers from your fleet isn't going to cut it. At some point, you will need a force specifically trained in planetary warfare.

You can't pull trained personnel from your fleet, because then you would be undermining you space force.

Off topic:

In regards to the uniforms, if the cast were really upset they would have been changed. It was the low opinion of the uniforms in TMP that got them changed in the first place. I do admit they are rather militaristic, but than again humanitarian organizations tend not to have enough firepower to level a planet, and David Marcus refers to Starfleet as "the military" on a couple of occasions in TWoK.
Most JJ Trek hate = IDIC fail.
Quote:
Most who don't like the new Star Trek either didn't like TOS, don't remember TOS, or didn't see TOS

Last edited by lordagamemnonb5; 01-06-2013 at 07:51 PM.