View Single Post
Rihannsu
# 3
01-08-2013, 09:18 PM
"Deck 13." Bryan muttered to himself angrily as the turbolift gently slid through its shaft to the only deck on the ship people tried to avoid. "Always deck 13. Probably just some lowly crewmen who thinks he's funny by scaring everyone."

The doors quietly slid open, revealing the empty, though brightly lit, corridors of deck 13.

"Athena, scan the corridor," Bryan called.

"Nothing unusual to report, sir." the AI reponded.

Bryan let out an exasperated sigh. "All right. Tell Ibalei-" A shadow suddenly flashed out of the corner of his eye.

"Sir?" Athena said questioningly.

Bryan paused. "Tell her I'll be back up in a few minutes."

With that, Bryan followed where he had seen the shadow. As he strode through the halls, he began to hear faint whispers.

"Athena, scan local decibel levels. Exclude ambient ship noise. and our voices" Bryan called.

"I've got nothing sir." She responded.

"Very well."

Bryan continued walking. It was then that he came upon a room that almost no one had ever entered. It was nothing special, just another multipurpose room, capable of being converted into civilian housing, diplomat's quarters, or any other number of possible uses, but this one had only been used once, during a funeral for Ensign Miziogh, a Bolian science officer who had served as the communications and sensors until her death during an engagement with the Borg, a role that was filled by Ensign Aara when she defected. The door to the room slid quietly shut behind Bryan when he stepped in, but Bryan didn't notice, as he was paying more attention to what he saw in the constantly changing shadowy figures: the faces of everyone who had been killed under his command. Bryan just stood there, watching their face flash by. Normally very calm and collected, Bryan finally broke, realizing he had been forcing himself to ignore the stress all of the losses had been causing him by forcing himself into as much duty as possible. But now, standing before all of their faces, he couldn't help but realize what he had been doing.

Later, his first officer, Ibalei Zera, finally found him leaning in a corner, tears streaking down his face.

"Are you all right Bryan?" She asked.

"No. I'm really not." he responded, his voice cracking a little.

"So, your past finally caught up with you? She said consolingly.

Bryan wiped his eyes with the sleeve of his jacket. "Yea. I guess forcing your problems down isn't going to make it go away, huh?"

"Nope. It only makes them worse." Ibalei responded.

The two stood there for a brief moment. Bryan looked into Ibalei's grey eyes, and she stared into his. After what seemed like an eternity, the two finally, for the first time in the six years they had known each other, kissed. Out of the corner of his eye, Bryan saw the faces of his former crewmen smile just before they disappeared.
Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet