View Single Post
Captain
# 13
01-14-2013, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaitu View Post
I would argue that no matter how they are displayed, their images are perpetually out there. You could go back and play any of those old Trek games and see their likeness.
Except they have already been paid whatever royalties they were entitled to based on the sales of each unit.

Quote:
Heck, all you have to do is pick up a star trek paperback to see their likenesses perpetually out there.
Again, each book you may see in a store was already purchased from the publisher, and any royalty fees that applied would have been paid already. A stand-alone game's profits are based on unit sales. Same for books. But an MMO, whose profits stem from subscription fees and microtransaction sales is not easily quantifyable. The way such things are handled may make it cost prohibitive to license the likeness of the actor.

Quote:
I don't understand why there would be a difference in licensing a likeness for a MMO vs a single player game. There doesn't appear to be any difference in the voice acting side of things..
Also, it depends greatly on the agent representing the actor in question. Every job the actor gets, his agent takes a cut. There are a lot of factors that go on behind the scenes that the general public is not privy to. So the actor gets paid for a voice job. The agent gets a cut. And if I am not mistaken, the SAG gets a cut as well...
How Cryptic can keep people from blowing through their content
1 - Hire more people
2 - Create more content
3 - Release it more often
It isn't rocket science