View Single Post
Captain
# 105
01-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Change the design too much and it is no longer the Enterprise. According to some Star Trek fans, if it is not almost completely identical to the Enterprise, then why bother. IMO, the gravity disc changes the design of the Enterprise too much so that it is no longer the Enterprise. In fact, I would say that it is a crude mockery of the original. If something is called the Enterprise and is based on the NCC 1701, then it has to be as close to the original as possible or its not good enough.
I guess it depends on how you look at it. The Gen1 will be different than the fictional Enterprise in that it looks a bit different, is nuclear powered, uses ion engines, and relies on a gravity wheel for artificial gravity. But it will be similar to the fictional Enterprise in that it is a vessel of exploration, has a large and diverse crew, carries enough equipment to conduct scientific studies far from Earth, and is spacious enough to provide comfortable living quarters for the people on board. And I doubt many people rage-quit TNG because the Enterprise-D didn't look exactly like Kirk's ship.

I think most Trek fans will agree the similarities more than outweigh the differences.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q