View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoge00f View Post
lulz, just distro it outside of the STO forums.

Everyone is making such a big deal out of their enforcement of their rules.
There are two main problems to that suggestion that I see.

1) The STO forums are pretty much the place to distribute anything related to Star Trek Online. As they should be. The forums were (I hope) set up with the intention to provide a single unified place to discuss and post anything STO-related; anybody distributing something outside of the forums would reach a much smaller audience, and many STOers would be missing out on something perhaps particularly neat.

2) Even if the question of whether distribution on the forums is allowed is ignored, what still remains is whether Cryptic believes these types of programs to violate their EULA/ToS. Without knowing that, as a responsible person I (and I hope, most other people on this forum) cannot, in good conscience, distribute something that could be later declared a hack/cheat and have people's accounts sanctioned for using it. Furthermore, if they do declare that it's unallowed, then I can't, in good conscience, continue to advocate for it's availability and use. However, if they do allow it, then that would resolve all the problems of where it should be distributed and whether I (or anybody else) could talk about it on the STO forums.

In short, the entire thing is about their rules, and it's quite important to know what their stance on the issues is before proceeding with any sort of action.