View Single Post
Captain
# 67
01-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raventomoe View Post
And you obviously never watched an episode of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann or Vandread or even watched/read any of Asobi ni Iku yo! (Which gets love for countless shout outs...including to Star Trek).
The willing suspension of disbelief is a very tricky animal indeed, my well versed anime friend. Not many have seen Vandread let alone heard of it, so props to you for that.

But the thing you must understand is what's believeable in one series, doesn't make it believable in another. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann does have planet sized robots, but it built up to them by showing us that world, and establishing it's technology and what it's (in)capable of.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann may be an absolutely insane series, but it still has it's own internal logic and sets of rules that the universe follows. A walking aircraft-carrier-land-battleship is established to be a possible thing in the world of Gurren Lagann.

But in Star Trek it would seem rather.... out of place. It follows different narrative structure, and the universe follows different laws and physics.

So in other words, I can believe in anything as long as the story gives me a reason too.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.