View Single Post
Captain
# 29
01-23-2013, 11:26 AM
I don't particularly like the lockboxes myself.

Having said that, the more I've thought about it I don't really have any great issue with them. This is a F2P game. And compared to a lot it's actually a fairly well designed one, in that even though I am not personally paying money to play, I *could* access almost everything, I just have to do it over time. A lot of F2P games are actually rubbish that lock you out from like half the game. This doesn't.

In theory I could cash in Dil for keys. Or just sell everything and use EC to get keys. Will never be as fast as just paying... but I see that as fair enough. People who pay have the edge. That's how the system is supposed to work. And if I choose to ignore boxes altogether, that's my choice. There's still plenty of fun in the game...even if I admdit I'd like that Tholian Orb Weaver someday (and maybe I'll still get it).

I actually think this whole lockbox thing is a better designed "reward for pay players" system than some people give it credit for.

I'd much rather have a F2P game that works this way (essentially making "bonus" material easier for pay players to access but we all play the same game), than one which locks you out of half the actual game content. This is far more sustainable in the long run.