View Single Post
Starfleet Veteran
# 12
01-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djf021 View Post
So I've only created two missions so far, one for Fed side, one for KDF side. My Fed one has been around since last October, but has only recieved 29 reviews. The good news is out of those 29, I have about a 3.9 out of 5 rating (which I don't think is too bad for a first try). So my situation is I have a decently rated mission that virtually no one knows about.

My question is, what is it about a mission that makes players go "That was cool! I'm gonna tell everyone I know who plays Foundry!"??? Is it a matter of length, or balance between reading and action?

Or is my own job of marketing the problem? I've listed them in my signature, posted about them in the promotion threads, etc., even noting that it qualifies for the "officer reports" repeatable. What else can I do to get more people to play?

Thanks for your time!
Interesting question. What formerly made a good mission in the pre F2P days of STO, was, story content. If you completed a mission and felt like you just watched an episode of Star Trek, no doubt, it was a good mission. This was actually harder to do than it seems, because the Foundry was still confined to STO's formulaic, MMO, gameplay of "kill 5 guys, walk down the road, kill 5 more guys, wash, rinse, repeat, until you heard the TNG music que up. However, a good storyteller could do it.

In the post, F2P, era, story telling has since, fallen out of favor. This is primarily due to the story focused player base migrating away from STO, and being replaced with a more, generic, MMO, leveling, type of playerbase. Players like this, don't much care for stories, or canon. They are much more focused on the "get in, get off, get out, scenario. These allow for maximizing reward, while placing a premium, on time to complete. Indeed, at one point, there were foundry missions, where you simply logged into them, and got the dilithium.

So to answer your question, I would say, make the mission as short as possible, forego any extraneous story elements, keep the focus simple, (kill five guys, down the road, kill five more etc...)set all bad guys on "timid" and give players as much dilithium as is possible. That's about all you can do.

Last edited by mkilczewski; 01-26-2013 at 08:13 PM.