View Single Post
Empire Veteran
# 43
01-27-2013, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrskyfaller View Post

I think beam arrays are fine as they are. By 'fixing' beams you merely turn them into somewhat copies of cannons and thats just dumb. Each weapon needs to have its big pro and big cons to using them. Right now the beams are just right...cannons are not. Cannons just have massive pro's and no cons.

In my suggestion, im literally putting the CON in the cannons. The DHS once removed makes cannons become more of a burst-damage weapon rather than a spike damage weapon and beams become the spike damage weapon (via overload) that have PBAOE-like attack mode (FAW). CRF would no longer be the OMFGOUCH damage since DHS is gone. The Dual cannons can still put out a really good amount of damage but you'll need to fire the entire CRF duration worth of DualCannon to achieve the same effect that a 1/4th of CRF duration snapshot from DHS's.

I would add two more suggestions:

1- Give all energy weapons a power consumption reduction/increase based on the ship's weapon power level settings.

If you think about it, if you lower weapon power the damage the weapon does goes down..but why then does the power consumption stay the same? It should also go up or down.

Firing a beam or cannon at 100% power should have 2x power consumption penalty but it would do 2x the base damage. Lowering it to 25% power should lower power consumption to 1/4th and DO 1/4th of the base damage.

2- Beams: Increase the duration of the beam's 'lase' animation to 2x what it is now. Its rather silly and un-trek like to see a beam array just spamming short duration beams. To counteract the reduction in 'shots' simply increase the dmg, proc % chance and proc effect so that it all remains the same as it is now per weapon cycle..its just less beams visually being spat out but each beam lasts twice as long and we can enjoy the visuals.

(it could also allow them to add the famous trek 'phaser charge-up' animation of the lights coming from both sides of the saucer beam array, meeting in the middle and spitting the beam out).

I do agree with having a beam turret. Id LOVE that! I once even spent a week trying to 'hack' the client's graphics to see if I could make the turrets fire beams not little puffs.
My idea is to fix the drain issue with beams to correct thier inefficiency and retain all thier other attributes. Creating a new beam buffing BOff ability only helps the viability of beams and overall gameplay.

Your ideas strike me as just nerfong cannons to the point that they make beams look better in comparison, which is no fix for the Beam Array issue.