View Single Post
Career Officer
# 4
01-31-2013, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
"One ship fights one ship. If both captains are equally competent and gear is of equivalent quality, the fight has equal chances to have one ship win, or have the other ship win."
Do I understand you correctly that this means that boff abilities and choice of gear (like beams vs cannons) is not really relevant (assuming sensible builds, not intentionally inferior ones) in your system? It would only impact the "style" of the combat and not the actual effectiveness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Not quite. I say it is easier to have a game that works as 1v1 scale up so that it also works as 4v4, 10v10, 1000v1000 than to have a game that is balanced around, say, 4v4, and then have it scale up and down.
Do you have any particular arguments to back that up? Like maybe a different game that uses this approach?

Look at it this way: Going from 5v5 to 4v4 means a change in total power of -20% per team. Going from 1v1 to 5v5 means changing each team's power by +400%.

What seems like the easier approach?

Yes, scaling a team game all the way down to 1v1 is tricky. But I am absolutely not convinced that 1v1 balance is an easier way to achieve team balance (without making all ships the same in the process).
http://hilbertguide.com