View Single Post
Career Officer
# 2
02-01-2013, 07:58 PM
As a former City of Heroes player, I'd love to see craftable equipment in the vein of the IO system. Granted, the peculiarities of COH's gameplay won't necessarily transfer over, but I'd love to see the attempt.

What might work?

Have craftable equipment (kits, armor, weapons, shields, etc) that start off with low stats and slots for improvements/enhancements. Gear quality/rarity will affect base stats and/or number of slots. These could be craftable, drops, etc.

Each enhancement put into the equipment ups its stats, with some enhancements being parts of sets, some having higher than normal bonuses but aren't part of sets, some offering procs/abilities, etc. Sets should vary between being per-item as well as being overall, maybe with a few being both. Why this variety? To encourage a diversity in slotting, rather than there being a clear cut, single "optimal" way to do so.

That said, there should be some form of diminishing returns so things don't get out of hand. One should always assume that players will find ways to make themselves grossly overpowered, thus soft/hard caps on bonuses should be present. Granted, I'd start low, since its easier/less painful to buff than it is to nerf. Also, the other consideration is that by crafting, you get to really customize everything to your playstyle, so you're trading power for versatility/flexibility.

It would be a very useful broadening of what players can do. Star Wars Galaxies was a crafter's paradise before NGE, or so I'm told, so I'd love to see STO pick that title up. If you got good enough, you could even get a reputation for it! That said, I really do hope that its made into a game in and of itself, not just "select recipe, press craft, wait, hope for success."
Updated 2/11/13! Buying Zen with Energy Credits | Upgrading Duty Officers without Dilithium.
Q&A Presents: Maui Online! My friends' radioshow/podcast Computers, with occasional forays into astronomy.