View Single Post
Career Officer
# 11
02-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonwatnam View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with your point, However, I would prefer that in addition, you addressed at least one of the points made in the OP.

Also, login queues can be both a good sign, and a bad one. it does show an increase in numbers playing, but it also shows that the current system is near capacity. I'm sure that some of the known game bugs eat up a lot of sto system resources, thereby reducing its potential capacity (with current hardware). Fixing these bugs would lay a far firmer, and more stable foundation for growth in player numbers, while making the game cheaper per player to host (ie less overheads). Yes there are short term costs to fixing bugs, but the long term gain, just in system management, let alone user contentment, is at least a zero sum outcome at worst financially, plus increased goodwill, and user numbers.
Having too many customers is almost never a bad thing. You can't economically increase server capacity for a spike unless you've designed the system from day one to make that possible, which is horribly expensive and tends to force you to do ALL your scaling horizontally instead of vertically, but you can generally spend to meet long term demand since it comes with long term income.

EVERY MMORPG goes through occasional queue spikes, including the 800 pound Mugato on the block. You weather the spikes as best you can, and try to expand capacity for the long term growth. If they can't stay ahead of them with their budget, STO shouldn't even bother trying.

That being said, they did an admirable job of handling the situation, making the decision to yank the Foundry out temporarily and having employees take advantage of the new performance numbers to make more code fixes. (At least I'm assuming that's what led to today's patch, based on the timing, and my usual juxtaposition of my many years of experience in the business and shameless willingness to leap to wild conclusions without fear of contradiction.)