View Single Post
Empire Veteran
# 1 Sudden Death matches?
02-02-2013, 12:52 AM
Maybe it's been suggested before, but I think a sudden death style would be rather enjoyable for a more...fast-paced PvP match. Even if it wasn't added in, it could easily be implemented as an agreed-upon ruleset for a match and/or a tournament.

Arena maps only
5v5 fights only
Kills set to 5

If you die, you cannot move or shoot when you respawn, except if any of the following happens:

You can shoot down any targettable object that isn't a player, or player ship; examples including torpedoes, mines, NPC ships (like ones gotten from Fleet Support), and so on.

You can move away from any combat, including having to kill the things above. This is if combat ends up moving around the battle field, to where people are sitting.

Any other combat-related cause you can choose to move away from (such as if someone starts dropping EWP that happens to be near you, you can move from that).

A player can be disqualified if they purposefully kill someone who is at spawn. Attacks, whether accidently or on purpose can be tolerated, but an actual kill won't be. A player can also be disqualified if they purposefully let themselves get killed. This can also apply if a player just consistantly attacks a 'dead' player as well, knowing that as such.

If a player is disqualified by killing a member of the other team who is 'dead' already, then all combat is stopped immediately, and the player in question is killed by the opposing team to even the score, and the disqualified player will be 'dead' for the remainder of the match.

If a player is disqualified for the other reason of letting themselves die, then the team that player is on must simply deal with the fact that they are one point behind.

An entire team could potentially get DQed as well, if the above happens a couple times in a match, or if a team knowingly focuses fire on a person who is 'dead' in the match.

A 'safe zone' could be declared for each map as well. Such as Cracked Planetoid: The actual planetoid itself, in the middle could be the 'safe zone' where the dead players could go. No fighting would be allowed at all, and if a player killed or allowed themselves to be killed, it would apply to the above rules.

In the event of a 1v1 towards the end of a match, other rules for a 'Final Sudden Death' could be applied. These could include things like: No more Tactical Team, or no DOFFs, or no shield heals of any kind (outside of things that couldn't be taken off or disabled, like Omega shield passive), no Attack Patterns, and so on.

I know that's a lot of rules, and maybe it wouldn't be fun, maybe it would be, I dunno, I just thought I'd put it out there.