View Single Post
Career Officer
# 23
02-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post

If the ship you want (not need) can only be acquire from a Tier 5 Military starbase, then I suggest the stress is not worth the effort.

At the same time, it's not an impossible goal. Ultimately, you will need to employ some sort of personal honor. In other words, use some etiquette and just a wee bit of patience.

* Look for a Fleet on the forums - don't shop in zone chat, don't accept blind invites
* Once you join one, don't take anything from the Fleet - donate to the Fleet for a certain period of time and a month or two is a good marker of committment I think.
* Be active with the Fleet - the vets who built the base (without you) need to feel comfortable you are not taking advantage of their effort
* Get what you want
* Win the game

After that, you can do what you want with the Fleet. But who knows - you may have actually (omg) made friends and found a great online community that makes your gameplay more rewarding than a single starship.

As William Osler said, "We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life." I'd suggest the same applies to your situation in an online game.
I concur totally. STO tries to be a true MMO, it still has a ways to go, but the Fleet system encourages that aspect of the game... interaction and shared adventure. While I do the content on my own, I enjoy being a member of a fleet. It is not onerous, and you should enjoy it. I certainly am unable to put dedicated time into the game, but I am committed.

By the way, I love the Osler quote. He was quite a renaissance man, for an internist!