View Single Post
Captain
# 120
02-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj011 View Post
on space.com they have mentioned next year they will launch the biggest solar sail yet maybe they could use this as an emergency propulsion system
That could be cool. I could see it powering the ship's life support systems in the event of a power failure. Though such a failure is unlikely with three separate reactors, it's always good to be prepared.

Quote:
and also found something called Graphene which is the new strongest and lightest material man has made so that could be add to the ship.
Graphene would be very useful on the Enterprise. Not only would mixing it into the composite hull make the ship a lot tougher (and keep the mass/weight down), but it's apparently capable of blocking radiation as well (though this hasn't been tested in space yet). We might not even need a storm shelter!

Dan talks about graphene here and here.

Quote:
Has there any news on the cold-fusion front?
As it happens, Dan started a new petition a couple weeks ago. Basically it asks the American Department of Energy to do research into the feasibility of LENR devices as a potential power source. If it does work out, it's something they'll want to have ready as soon as possible.

Quote:
As for an enterprise ship maybe they should start with something smaller than work they way up to the BTE e.g. maybe nx class or nx refit as suggest maybe a definet class, dont have to worry about the neck or sovereign class too.
It's highly unlikely the finished ship will look much like any of the Enterprises in Star Trek. It'll have the same saucer-hull-neck-nacelles configuration so that it's recognizable, but the rest is up to the designers. I suspect the closest Enterprise it will resemble is the Sovereign class, as a thin neck like that of the 1701 or 1701-A would be a bit risky. The NX refit would be another nice concept.

A small design prototype will probably be built on Earth or in space, though it won't be very large. Just big enough to run tests and see how a big version would perform.

Quote:
BTW will Dan start a new petition?
I'm not sure. A day or so after the last petition expired, they upped the signature requirement to 100,000 signatures (still within a single month). I don't think BTE is quite strong enough to pull that off yet, especially since we only made 7,200 last time.

If there is another petition, it probably won't launch until at least May (to coincide with the release of Star Trek Into Darkness).
Say NO to mandatory Arc!