View Single Post
Captain
# 20
02-05-2013, 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacfe View Post
Moe isn't inherently bad.

The problem is that there are many, many studios with the impression that beach swimsuit episodes with jiggly breasts and

ONII-CHAN~~~

somehow makes a series better.

Moe characters are exactly that - a character. A poor characterisation kills the character, and the show. Just like how a dark, brooding protagonist can be made genuinely interesting, but is rarely done right in fiction.
Exactly. I don't like throwing archetypes in your faces. I certainly hated how IS was done, for example!

I wrote my boffs' characters to still feel like TNG characters, especially when on the bridge. In moments where their personalities show, you get a small flicker. But being an anime meant a few more Data's Day/The Lower Decks kind of episodes -- Slice of Life on a Starship. That's why I try to have the character carry the chapter.

Its only when you zoom out and see what each one has done and how she/he reacted and acted, that you can say, "Ah yes, Commander Minase is a Tsundere," or "Eight is an Ice Queen", or "I didn't know Captain Yuung was kuu-- actually, never mind."

But there are some nuggets I do include and then try my best to obscure. For example, Captain Yuung (Sci alt) of the USS Kitty Hawk on paper wears Isolinear Psionic Transducers on her head with a Psywave Grounding Articulation in close contact to her tailbones that appears part of her skirt. This gives her exceptional telepathic clarity and amplified telekinetic punch. (Telepathy, Telekinesis)

Descriptively, its a set of mobile cat ears and tail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.

Last edited by khayuung; 02-05-2013 at 03:36 AM.