View Single Post
Survivor of Remus
# 28
02-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by janusforbeare View Post
I'm mostly nitpicking at production decisions here, and most of these questions aren't meant to be taken seriously, but:

1) Why is every species except humanity named after their planet (or vice versa)? Romulans come from Romulus. Vulcans come from Vulcan. Andorians come from Andoria (or, occasionally, Andor - w00t inconsistancies!). The Tellarites come from Tellar. Denobulans come from - you guessed it - Denobula! Presumably, the Borg originated on Borgulus Prime or something. As a courtesy to our future alien neighbours, I propose we rename our planet Humania. Or maybe Humania III, for extra clarity.
Long ago the word "human" was almost universally defined as "self-righteous space ape". Though this piece of linguistic knowledge has, potentially, far-reaching consequences and could utterly rewrite our understanding of history, it's been decided that letting the Terrans use it so earnestly was too good a time. It's since been kept hidden from Starfleet for generations.

Quote:
2) This was sort of mentioned in the doctor McCoy question, but who in their right mind would EVER rely on transporters? I swear, they never work when you need them. How many times did Harry Kim say, "There's some kind of interference, captain! I can't get a lock!"? And always at the most damned inconvenient moment, too. I mean, you have spaceships that can wrap the laws of physics around their little nacelle, and safely fly through rips in the fabric of space-time, but noooo, you'd rather rely on technology less reliable than a 2001 Ford Explorer. Technology that takes you apart piece by piece, no less, and has been responsible for combining different people into one individual, creating evil twins of its users, hurling its victims into alternate dimensions, and inducing psychosis in those already crazy enough to use it.
You can thank Big Transporter's high-paid lobbyists for that one.

Quote:
3) If humans don't use money, how did the crew of DS9 pay for their drinks and holosuite time at Quark's?
They hired an intermediary to use the money for them. It's not that humans don't use money, it's that they literally have no idea how to. Last time O'Brien tried to pay for something himself, he ended up with a scratched cornea and dysentery.

Quote:
4) Considering how many times Starfleet members have gone back in time to our era, why didn't any of them bother to watch Star Trek? They could have avoided a lot of stupid mistakes.
Because in their timeline 1993 was the start of, like world war 3. No one ever got around to making it and the temporal police erased all knowledge of the show after the Space Nazi incident.